Thursday, August 02, 2007

Late night, end in sight

I was up 'til 1am yesterday (or is that today?) bashing out words for Hal 4. It's rare for me to write after 8 or 9pm, but I was into the climactic ending and couldn't stop. Didn't want to stop, to be honest.

Anyway, it rushed and rushed and I ended up with around 5,000 words, and the great thing about writing a slab in one hit is that it's all fresh in your mind - you don't forget things, and the writing is closer to second draft than early feel-in-the-dark work.

After (another) late night, I had to get up at 7am to take my youngest to school, and today I'm hoping to knock off the very last unwritten scene. (Not the last in the book. This one's around chapter 29 of 32.)

And if there's such a thing as a candle with three ends, I'm burning it. I've been up well after midnight all week, and still have to get up at 7am for school. Pity the night-owl parents, for they have no rest.

Simon Haynes is the author of the Hal Spacejock and Hal Junior series (Amazon / Smashwords / other formats)

No comments: