Thursday, August 30, 2007

Deadline +2

So, what does an author do right after handing in book 4 in their (hopefully) on-going series?

Me, I'm busy plotting Hal 5 in Freemind. I want to get the outline done before Hal 4 lobs back into my lap.

Why?

Mental trickery. If Hal 4 is all I have and my editor isn't that keen on it (happens) and sends me a long list of repairs (definitely happens) then my entire writing career hangs in the balance, I'm a failure in the making, etc, etc. However, if I have the next book on the go it gives me a crumb of comfort to cling to. That way, Hal 4 is just another project, not the ONLY project.

Did I mention the whole lack of confidence thing? Authors are steeped in it from birth.

Simon Haynes is the author of the Hal Spacejock and Hal Junior series (Amazon / Smashwords / other formats)

4 comments:

Mary O. Paddock said...

I have to tell you that it's a bit of a relief to "hear" you admit that--someone who's already sold three books. I think we all face it every time we sit down to write or edit (but edit especially).

Unless you wandered away from what's worked for you in your other books (and I don't mean, improved upon--I don't doubt that you did that as every book's done nothing but get better), I can't imagine that the editor will reject it.

I can't wait for April 1st.

Simon Haynes said...

My editor's been telling me not to trim it right back, to hand it in at 100k so there's room to move, etc. (The other books were 80k) She really wanted a look at what there was before I got too close to the final final deadline - which is October.

There are always some problems with a novel - it comes down to how much time is left and how willing the author is to keep working on it. The latter I have no problem with, it's the former that can cause big issues.

Anyway, I've not heard a peep since Tuesday but that's not unusual. I just don't know whether she's simmering in silence or dancing with joy ;-)

Midwestern Writer Wannabe said...

The trouble comes when you're already up to book three, and still can't find a new home for book one... ;-)

Simon Haynes said...

Been there, done that!

I was writing book 4 in the series when I finally signed with a publisher.