Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Kids' insights

My kids just showed me what they've been working on all day. It's an Oblivion addon called the 'Debating Room', where they've built a fancy parliament and added a copy of every leader and ruler from the game. (If you don't know what Oblivion is, think single player World of Warcraft. If you don't know what World of Warcraft is, I'm not convinced you're using the same internet as everyone else.)

Anyway, when they came to drag me away from Hal Spacejock 4 edits they said they wanted me to 'come and listen to the politicians having a debate.'

I did, and I discovered my kids have carefully upped the aggression levels for all these noble leaders and rulers so the minute you enter the room they all start belting the crap out of each other. Yes, it's cage fighting as we really want to see it! Why bother with expensive elections?

Oh well, it explains why my kids have been howling with laughter all day.

Simon Haynes is the author of the Hal Spacejock and Hal Junior series (Amazon / Smashwords / other formats)

7 comments:

Gabriele Campbell said...

Lol, I'd love to see Angela Merkel beating the crap out of her male opponents.

Not that I'm an Angie fan, but the rest of the bunch sucks even worse.

Tole said...

How old are your kids? They sound very cool :)

Simon Haynes said...

9 & 12 - both girls.

Tole said...

your kids rule - good job with that :D

actually i've been noticing you around on the net a lot lately, both because of your writing advice and your software and nano, you really do appear to be everywhere, and being very proffessional and cool about it as well - so good job with that too.

(if i sound insane or stalkery blame it on being 1am)

Simon Haynes said...

My kids remind me of Ender Wiggins' sister, times two.

I'm hoping 'being everywhere' doesn't eventually equate to 'can't get away from him' (then I'll be the stalky one.)

Tole said...

mostly it's "wow this guy has fantastic personal marketing skills, and really good advice wherever he goes"

although, his morning i found comments you wrote on miss snarks blog, so you actually might have something with the 'can't get away from you' thing.

Simon Haynes said...

Thanks! I live in the most remote capital city on the planet (Perth, Western Australia), so the internet has been a real life-changer for me.