Friday, July 07, 2006

And the rewards ...

Forget the money and keep your fame. This is what motivates me (Received via email):

I just wanted to say thanks for writing the best damn books ever. I had never read a book in my life until I read Hal Spacejock (and I'm 15 years old). We've only just got the second book in at the local library but I am eagerly awaiting your other books.

I replied with thanks and a short list of authors writing SF and Fantasy humour, because once someone's been sucked into reading ONE book they might try a few more.

Technorati Tags:

Simon Haynes is the author of the Hal Spacejock and Hal Junior series (Amazon / Smashwords / other formats)

3 comments:

James said...

I must say that it is great to see approachable authors. I have sent letters to the likes of Tom Clancy and Stephen King and heard nothing in return and then there are authors like Hugh Cook, Douglass D. Hawk and yourself who take the time in understandably busy lives to respond to fans. The two authors I mentioned there actually sent me signed copies of their hard to find novels when I asked for ISBN numbers.

Simon Haynes said...

The problem is, when you're famous you get too much mail to answer. When you're not famous nobody writes to you ;-) There does come a point for the bigger names where they can't read all their mail, let alone reply to it.
I've only got 4 copies left of Hal 1, but I'm hoping to get some more from my publisher for publicity purposes. Slight snag: they're down to the last handful from a print run numbering in the thousands. I'm hoping they'll reprint soon.
Don't forget to enter my draw for a copy - each time a Hal book comes out I give away twelve copies.

David Forbes said...

It's messages like this one that make it all worth while!