Friday, September 29, 2006

Metatextual or imagination?

You hear about authors inserting themselves in their books, whether deliberately or not. But how about authors being inserted into cover art without their knowledge? I'll let you be the judge ...





(Neither side of the image has been doctored - they're just merged as-is. In case there's any doubt, I'm the one on the left. The Hal pic came from the cover art of Hal Spacejock Just Desserts.)

Simon Haynes is the author of the Hal Spacejock and Hal Junior series (Amazon / Smashwords / other formats)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I see this a lot actually. I review a lot of books and interview authors and I'm amazed at how often the cover model is a better looking/younger version of the author.

The coverart people have probably discovered long ago that authors tend to approve covers that remind them of themselves.

No one said writers weren't vain.

Simon Haynes said...

Good point, although I don't think the artist has been near my website. Actually, given the character of Hal Spacejock is a complete dill, I hope it's coincidence ;-)

Jean said...

He may be a complete dill, but he's a photogenic fellow.

(And I can't wait to get this series in the US. Soon, I hope.)

Simon Haynes said...

The books are on the way to the distributor, which is ISBS in Portland OR. They sell direct, and will also supply any library or bookstore in North America.
A US rights deal would be great, but it'll be easier if the books build a UK fan base first. There will be less of the 'What the hell was that all about?' and more 'How much cash should we throw at this guy?'
Dreaming right along ...

Jean said...

I managed to find a copy of Book 1 that didn't cost me an arm and a leg. I'll keep looking for the other two -- ISBS looks like one option. Thanks.

Cracking the whip at UK fans -- get going, folks.

Anonymous said...

Yer cute, honey. It might be flattery by the artist, but she/he had somethin' good to work with!