Monday, June 29, 2009

Still writing

If you're wondering where I am, the answer is ... writing. I set myself a breakneck pace to get the Hal Spacejock 5 draft finished and that leaves little time for other forms of writing - such as email and blogging. (And people wonder why I embrace my twitter account like a drowning man...)

Anyway, my Hal 5 schedule looks something like this:

By July 3: Finish the rough draft. (Still have 4 chapters to write, one per day)
By July 15: Finish the first edit. Much cutting, pasting, chopping, wailing.
By July 31: Send the finished second edit+ off to my first readers for comment
By August 15: Complete the third edit and read through all the first reader feedback
By August 31: Complete the twentieth edit* and send the MS to my editor.

+ Last time they got the twentieth edit. This one's going to be an eye-opener ...

* That's going to be a busy 2 weeks.

Simon Haynes is the author of the Hal Spacejock and Hal Junior series (Amazon / Smashwords / other formats)


Anton Gully said...

Dude... the 30s called, they want their pulp work ethic back.

That schedule is insane. OTOH more Spacejock is good.

Andrew Buntine said...

By July 31: Send the finished second edit+ off to my first readers for comment

Hmm ... and how does one become a 'first reader', then? ;)

(Or is this a question for your publisher?)

Simon Haynes said...

I put out a call on my LJ last year, and because time was short I sent all those who replied an electronic copy of the novel. Then I gave them all a copy of Hal 4 when it came out. (That's one reason I picked mostly aussie readers, since the OS postage on books is more than the books themselves ...)

I put a page here last time explaining what was involved:

This time the draft will be much rougher. Then again, that makes reading the finished version a bit more fun, since H4 wasn't much different to the version the first readers saw.