Monday, May 28, 2007

Hal 3 appears on the 'Page 99 Test'

An interesting blogging concept: Authors are invited to submit the full text of page 99 from their current novel, and to follow it up with a brief essay on the snippet. In their own words:

For the Page 99 Test, I hope to have authors comment on whether Page 99 reveals "the quality of the whole" about their books. We'll try the test on new books, contemporary classics, and a few time-honored books, with recognized experts applying the test to the text.

My effort is here.

Simon Haynes is the author of the Hal Spacejock and Hal Junior series (Amazon / Smashwords / other formats)

3 comments:

Priya said...

Hi Simon,

Since reading this post I've been applying the Page 99 test to all books I might possibly be interested in reading. I've picked up a couple of gems as a result and had a good laugh at some other pages before quickly putting the book away.

Thanks for the tip!

Simon Haynes said...

I couldn't do it - I'd be worried about reading some spoiler which makes the previous 98 pages irrelevant ;-)

Priya said...

Well I haven't had that happen yet, but you're right that is a potential drawback - then again, in the books I'm reading (mostly sci-fi fiction/fantasy) I'd be happy to go back and read the first 98 pages anyway. As everyone seems to be saying nowadays:"YMMV"