Wednesday, September 21, 2005

On to Hal Spacejock Just Desserts

Hal Spacejock is out and Hal Spacejock Second Course has been handed in, so I'm doing what any sane mortal would do - I'm working on the draft of Hal Spacejock Just Desserts.
The third book in the series is my favourite, and even after all the editing improvements to books one and two I still think it's the best of the bunch. This one was the easiest to write, too. After struggling with the previous books I had a better idea of this novel-writing business.
One downside to this is that I've been laughing along with book three, wondering whether I can write something like this again. I mean, now that I know the sheer amount of work involved after starting with a blank page it looks like a hell of a lot of work.
Am I still up to writing fresh new books?

Simon Haynes is the author of the Hal Spacejock and Hal Junior series (Amazon / Smashwords / other formats)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always wonder if I'll have what it takes to write another novel. In fact, I usually doubt that I will, but then... then I have this idea, see, and it won't leave me alone. I put it down on paper, sketch out a few characters and suddenly I'm back to pounding the keys eight to ten hours a day.

You'll write another novel and probably laugh while you do it.

Can someone pick up your second or third book without having read the first and make sense of the characters?

Cheers,
-- F

Simon Haynes said...

Thanks for the moral support - I appreciate it.
Yes, the books are standalone. They're a series featuring the same central characters, not sequels, so each is completely self-contained with no loose ends.